Sunday, November 22, 2009

Forty Days

I haven't been doing so well spiritually. It's not that I've commited any great or malignant sins, I've just sort of let the little things fall to the wayside. Little, but important things like reading my scriptures. Life has been busy this past year, what with building a house and having a baby, and I'm sorry to say I've really lost touch with the Spirit.
I've decided many times that I'm going to "start reading the scriptures more" but I just haven't been able to get back into the habit.
So I've been praying the past week or so to know what to do; how to get the Spirit back in my life, how to get back on track, and tonight as I was rocking my baby to sleep I got my answer. I tried to brush it off, to tell myself I didn't have enough time, but the Spirit kept telling me, and I finally said, "Okay, I'm going to do it!" So, I'm starting reading the Book of Mormon tonight, and my goal is to finish it by the end of the year.
I'm the type of person who needs a day by day plan if I'm actually going to complete something, so I pulled out the calculator to see how many pages I needed to read a day. It turns out there are forty days until the end of the year! I got really exited when I realized that I'm going to read the Book of Mormon in forty days; I doubt that's a coincidence. I'll need to read 13.2 pages per day to reach my goal, but since I prefer not to stop in the middle of a chapter, I've made up a schedule of which chapters I need to read each day to keep me on track. Tonight I'm reading 1 Nephi 1-7.
I wanted to blog about this so that I'm accountable to others. If I kept it to myself, it would be easier to give up (which I know I'll be tempted to do). So please, ask me how my reading is coming! Get on my case! I need the encouraement. And if anyone wants to join me, I'd be more than happy to share my schedule with you.
I'd better get off the computer so I can start reading!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great idea! I have the same problem...but I am not sure if I am committed to 13+ pages a day! Maybe I should give it a try--go ahead and send your schedule my way!

Jamie said...

Good luck, Lura. I know you can do it!