My almost-four-year-old is scared of Santa. We didn't realize this until a few weeks ago at our Ward Christmas Party. Santa came to hand out candy to the kids. Our two-year-old quickly got in line with the other children, but to my surprise, his older brother held back. When I encouraged him to go get in line so he could talk to Santa and get his candy, he ran to the corner and cried.
As Christmas drew nearer, I asked him what he wanted Santa to bring him. He informed me that he didn't want Santa to come. He only wanted presents from me. So, guess what? Santa didn't come to our house. My son made sure I locked the door before we went to bed so he couldn't come in (lucky for me we don't have a fireplace; I would've had to board it up!). I filled the stockings and set out all the presents. But a few days after Christmas, the kid informed me that he is excited for Santa to come next year! What a silly kid.
Friday, December 26, 2008
Monday, December 15, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
After breakfast this morning, my youngest went in the living room to play. Two minutes later, he came back into the kitchen where I was washing dishes and said, "I dropped mine eggs". He seemed pretty upset about it. I figured he had snuck a handful of scrambled eggs into the living room to eat and then accidentally dropped them (he knows he's not supposed to take food in the living room, and frequently sneaks a handful of his food in to eat on the couch). So I followed him to where he had 'dropped' his eggs, and it turned out that he had actually vomited up his eggs! This was a couple hours ago, and he seems fine, so I don't think he's sick (phew). I just think it's funny that he used the term 'dropped'. It cracks me up!
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Just a quick update; the penny has been passed. Hooray! I don't have to fish through his dirty diapers anymore looking for it! From now on, I'll be more diligent about keeping money away from him.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
A few days ago was my hubby's birthday. The boys picked out some balsa wood airplanes to give him. We were all excited to go to the park and see them fly. While I was getting my youngest ready to go, he put a penny in his mouth. I saw it sitting on the back of his tongue, dangerously close to going down his throat. I quickly tried to scoop it out with my finger, but may have done more harm than good. He choked on it for a few scary moments (I was afraid it would get lodged in his throat), and then swallowed it.
I wasn't sure what to do, so I called poison control (thank goodness for poison control! I've called them many times since becoming a mother). They recomended we take him in for an x-ray to make sure it made it down to his stomach. Otherwise, it could be hanging precariously in the back of his throat, waiting to fall and lodge in his windpipe (this can be the case even if the child can swallow fine and shows no signs of choking), or it could get lodged in the entrance to the stomach and block him up.
So I took him to the emergency room (things like this always happen on the weekends) while my husband and our oldest boy went to fly the airplanes. We spent two hours waiting and waiting and waiting some more. Finally he was x-rayed, and they found the penny in his stomach, which was a relief.
Now we just need to wait for it to come out (checking for it is not my favorite thing, but we need to make sure it passes).
Lesson learned; keep small objects out of reach of children. Easier said than done.