Monday, June 8, 2009

"Just kidding, Mom!"

So I wake up at midnight to the familiar feeling of a contraction. But not too familiar , because unlike the Braxton Hicks or "practice" contractions I've been having lately, this one is long and strong. Feels like real labor. I use the bathroom and then try to go back to sleep. But the contractions keep coming, and I can't sleep.
I call my husband a little before two o'clock to tell him what's going on. After some discussion, we decide to wait another hour or two before he leaves to come down here (it's a six hour drive). We don't want him to come if this isn't the real thing. I try to sleep again, but can't, so I decide to pack a bag to take to the hospital. I'm feeling like this is the real thing and am getting excited about having the baby! I figure once I get my bag packed, I'll wake my dad and stepmom, call hubby and tell him to come on down, and head to the hospital.
The bag is packed and I'm ready to go, but then I realize I haven't had contactions during the half hour it took to pack it. Hmmm... I lay down in bed again and hope I feel more contractions soon. But they never come. I look at the clock. It's a little past four. Guess I'll try to sleep.
My kids wake me up at seven, and I'm disapointed to realize that my labor has stopped.
Not a very nice trick to play on me, was it? Oh well, guess she'll come when she's ready. In the meantime, I'm getting some practice at being utterly exhausted from lack of sleep. . .

No comments: